Saturday, October 04, 2008

What we see yet do not





















This post was on a 'women connect' forum at Schlumberger and I was directed to it by a friend of mine. It was an anonymous post but underneath the rhythm and rhyme was a message which jostled me. I too was walking down a narrow alley of this thought process but I was shaken to senses by this and a few other stuff I read there. Read this one and try and appreciate the fact that the fairer sex doesn't have a easy time in the corporate life, as many of us perceive.  If we are on a 'columbus' they are on a 'roller-coaster' ! 

Thanks for the picking me out of that narrow alley. 

Became a rig pig for a free lunch
Didn't have a clue or a hunch
They said it'd be good, they said it'd be fun
Earn tons of cash, see the world

They treated me good, they treated me right
Booked me a limo after my long flight
Set me up in a hotel with a great view
I kept asking myself if this really was true

I signed on the dotted line before they could change their mind
Couldn't believe I had this job! Oh what a find!
I was sure I made the right choice
Should I have heeded to that little voice?

I was leaving home, settling afar
Rented a little apartment, bought a new car
Life was good, I was living it up
But before long it would start to suck

It wasn't the work, it wasn't the pay
It was things that people would say
I could never do anything right
Being a girl, work became a fight

"You are a girl, that's why you did well"
"That's fine work, you are swell"
Or, "You are a girl, can't do a mans job"
"Rigs are no place for a girl, be a banker, be a doc"

Got no credit, got no fame
Lived with regret and at times with shame
"What's wrong darlin'?", dad would ask
With laughter and stories, my pain I'd mask

"You're too friendly, you must be a slut
Can I visit you tonight, and keep the door shut
You don't talk much, totally a bitch
I bet if I hit on her, she'd snitch"

These are the things I'd have to hear
Go in the corner, let out a lonely tear
Put on a brave face and go back again
I'll be damned if they see my pain!

What can I do, I continue this battle
They'd have to do a lot more, to make me rattle
I'll go down fighting, my sword up in the sky
I might loose, but I'll hold my head high

-Anonymous

No comments: